A BLOG BY CALVIN DEAN:

A BLOG BY CALVIN DEAN: AUTHOR | TROPHY HUSBAND

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Formatting eBooks


For the past few days, I have been editing my manuscript and reviewing it with a fine tooth comb.  Now I am formatting the text and getting it ready for eBook and print publication.

I must say, I have a newfound appreciation for people involved in the nuts and bolts of pagination.  Getting the margins, indentions and spaces exactly where you want them is a fine art.  I spent all day Wednesday fine-tuning the title pages and eliminating unwanted blank lines within the body of the text.  When several different methods refused to solve the problem, I turned to HTML coding. 

Why HTML?  Kindle and Nook require scalable formatting.  Starting with a very clean Word Doc (and I mean spotless), you Save As a web page and then insert appropriate coding via NotePad.  Using Caibre software, the HTML document is then formatted as an EPub for Nook and MOBI for Kindle.  These files can be uploaded to their respective websites for testing.

Okay, so I made it sound easy.  Trust me, for a novice like me, it’s not.  Fortunately, I managed to stumble my way into two satisfactory files.

Once the art is finished, the book cover will be added and we’ll be good to go.  The Epitaph of Jonas Barloff is coming to Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com and other on-line retailers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment